ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 ImageEn feature exploration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ender

Russia
2 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  02:45:26  Show Profile  Reply
I have an application that uses an old version of Pegasus ImagXpress component as well as other third party components. I am looking at ImageEn as a potential replacement. However, I need to know whether certain functionality of ImagXpress exists in ImageEn. The target development environment is Delphi XE2 and more recent.

The required features are below:

*** Color methods ***
- Change the color depth of an image
- Negate the colors within an image

*** Geometric cransformations & cleanup ***
- Crop
- Deskew
- Despeckle
- Border removal (black or white)
- Line detection and removal
- Hole punch (blob) detection and removal
- Detect a blank page for a document

*** TIF files ***
- Load and save large TIFFs (hundereds of mixed B&W/Color pages, files up to 1GB)
- TIF tags reading and modification
- Support for the following compression methods

Black & White: 'Uncompressed', 'CCITT RLE', 'CCITT Group 3 Fax (1 dimensional)', 'CCITT Group 4 Fax', 'LZW', 'Pack Bits', 'JPEG', 'Deflate', 'CCITT Group 3 Fax (2 dimensional)'
Color: 'JIF', 'Progressive JPEG', 'EXIF', 'Progressive EXIF', 'Lossless JPEG', 'JPEG 2000', 'LS', 'JPEG 2000 without header'

*** OCR ***
- Detecting barcodes (what types?)
- OCR (What languages? Are word/character confidence and position present?)

*** Misc ***
- Stability in a multithreaded 64-bit application. All the above mentioned features are required to work in multiple background threads.
- Possibility of work with large pages (17-20 megapixels, color & BW - A3 scanned at 300 DPI).
- Ability of scanning from a background thread (non main application thread).

I would like to hear opinions of the existing users about ImageEn stability and speed. Especially about stability.

fab

1310 Posts

Posted - May 23 2013 :  22:30:07  Show Profile  Reply
quote:
1. Blank page detection.

Blank page detection is supported (as Twain directive or as internal image analysis procedure).
quote:
2. Deskew.

This is supported in TImageEnProc.SkewDetectionFine and TImageEnProc.SkewDetection methods.
quote:
3. Despeckle.

Not supported directly. However there are methods which could produce similar results.
quote:
4. Border detection and removal (white or black).

The methods AutoCrop and AutoCrop2 could produce similar results.
quote:
OCR:
1. Barcode recognition.
2. OCR itself. What languages are supported? Is there word|character confidence info and coordinates?

You should purchase the IEvision plugin. It produces also word/character confidence info and bounding box.
Supported languages are:
Greek, Esperanto, English, Ukrainian, Turkish, Thai, Tagalog, Telugu, Tamil, Swedish, Swahili, Serbian_Latin, Albanian, Spanish_Old, Spanish, Slovenian, Slovakian, Romanian, Portuguese, Polish, Norwegian, Dutch, Malay, Maltese, Macedonian, Malayalam, Lithuanian, Latvian, Korean, Kannada, Italian_Old, Italian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Cherokee, Hungarian, Croatian, Hindi, Hebrew, Galician, Middle_French (1400-1600), Frankish, French, Finnish, Basque, Estonian, Middle_English (1100-1500), Greek, German, Danish, Czech, Catalan, Bulgarian, Bengali, Belarusian, Azerbaijani, Arabic, Afrikaans, Japanese, Chinese_Simplified, Chinese_Traditional, Russian,Vietnamese
quote:

- Reading and writing large multi-page TIFFs (hunderds of pages, the size of a file is about 1GB).
- Work with large images about 17 megapixels (A3 paper scanned at 300 DPI) both in true color and black & white

It should be ok though there are different ways in ImageEn to handle multiple pages files.
quote:
- Scanning in a background thread (I had stability problems when I tried to scan via Pegasus TwainPro in a background thread).

Cannot guarantee stability problems. This depends also by the Twain driver.
quote:
- Support for the following TIFF compression methods
BW: 'Uncompressed', 'CCITT RLE', 'CCITT Group 3 Fax (1 dimensional)', 'CCITT Group 4 Fax', 'LZW', 'Pack Bits', 'JPEG', 'Deflate', 'CCITT Group 3 Fax (2 dimensional)'
Color JPEG: 'JIF', 'Progressive JPEG', 'EXIF', 'Progressive EXIF', 'Lossless JPEG', 'JPEG 2000', 'LS', 'JPEG 2000 without header'

Lossless JPEG and LS are not supported (actually they are supported in DICOM as decoder-only).
quote:
- Ability to accept and produce DIBs.

This is ok.
Go to Top of Page

yogiyang

India
727 Posts

Posted - May 24 2013 :  23:40:33  Show Profile  Reply
Regarding ImageEN I will say just adopt it. It has features way beyond what ImageXpress can ever provide.

Another thing is ImageXpress is royalty based and one has to pay for each sale while ImageEN is single time purchase and they do not charge any royalty!

I ditched ImageXpress way back and have never looked back. I am still using quite an old version of ImageEN so imaging the amount features that you will get with latest version.

Another thing is that if you are going to use Delphi then in case of ImageEn you will just have to ship one single file but in case of Pegasus ImageXpress you will have to ship a collection of supporting files and the ActiveX itself.

HTH

Yogi Yang

Yogi Yang
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: