ImageEn Library for Delphi, C++ and .Net
 ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 General questions to dcrawlib.dll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

am24

30 Posts

Posted - May 01 2014 :  23:27:42  Show Profile  Reply
Please help me to understand the dcrawlib addon a bit better. I'm very new to ImageEn and dcrawlib and could not find answers to the following questions:

1. The download includes "dcrawlib.dll", "GPL-dcrawlib.dll" and the source. What's the exact difference between those two DLL files?

2. Can I redistribute the "dcrawlib.dll" with my own (closed source) application? Is it totally free? Or are there any requirements such as placing a credit in the program documentations, About box, etc?

3. What's the license for using and redistributing "dcrawlib.dll"?

4. Is it required to also redistribute the source code that is available in the ZIP file?

5. Would it be possible that you digitally sign the dcrawlib.dll (as you already do with the ielib32/64 DLLs)?

6. Is there also a 64bit version available? Or can it be used in 32bit applications only?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Martin

Uwe

284 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  08:48:49  Show Profile  Reply
Martin

To answer your questions:

1. The GPL version contains restricted functions to support Faveon sensors (X3F). See the licence agreement in dcraw.c for details. The non-GPL version has this code removed and can be freely distributed.

Using the GPL version doesn't make sense anyway because most X3F images from newer Sigma cameras can't be read by DCRAW.

2. Yes, as long as it's the non-GPL version. Crediting Dave Coffin for his work is certainly in order.

3. Quote from dcraw.c: "No license is required to download and use dcraw.c". Same goes for dcrawlib.dll, of course.

4. No

5. You have to compile it yourself. That's what I do because I can't expect Xequte to provide the latest version immediately after its release all the time.

6. Only as an EXE as far as I know, and not from Xequte. You can run the 32bit version of the DLL together with a 32bit executable on 64bit systems of course, or you simply use the 64bit version of your software together with ielib64.dll .

HTH
Uwe
Go to Top of Page

am24

30 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  10:04:27  Show Profile  Reply
Thank you very much for your answers, Uwe. Very helpful.

To #5: I think we speak about two different things here. You can see the digital signature when you open the file properties of the DLL in your file manager. It's just one additional step after you compile the DLL, it's not required to compile or release the DLL more often. The ielib DLLs are already digitally signed, the dcrawlib.dll is unsigned.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38510 Posts

Posted - May 02 2014 :  15:04:40  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Martin

Actually it should be digitally signed automatically when we compile it for distribution. I will check that on Monday and upload a new version if necessary.

@Uwe: Thanks for your detailed responses.

Nigel

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38510 Posts

Posted - May 04 2014 :  18:43:02  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Martin

I have uploaded new versions of the DCRAW DLL that are signed.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

am24

30 Posts

Posted - May 05 2014 :  03:47:03  Show Profile  Reply
Thank you! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic