ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 Set Thumbnail for Video
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

porpoise

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Reply
Is it possible to set the thumbnail image for a video, preferably with an IEBitmap?

xequte

38510 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  23:06:37  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

Where do you mean? When the thumbnail is displayed in a TImageEnMView?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

porpoise

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  23:32:45  Show Profile  Reply
I'm thinking that I would like to create a thumbnail that is saved back to disk so that when the video is displayed in Windows Explorer, as a file, the thumbnail shows up in the Windows Explorer preview instead of the first frame of the video. Is something like this possible?

I've seen .THM files and I understand that these serve this purpose, but I'm lost on how to manipulate them.

My thought is to grab the frame I want to serve as the thumbnail and to replace the .THM. Or, if there is some way to accomplish this by embedding the thumbnail in the movie file, this might be better.

More guidance would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38510 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  00:35:01  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

THM files are not used by Windows Explorer. It generates its own thumbnails as needed. I'm not sure there is any practical way to provide custom thumbnail, as you would need to override the application that Explorer calls to generate a thumbnail for the particular file type.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

porpoise

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  11:08:11  Show Profile  Reply
Thank you for the response. Do you know how Windows determines which frame to use as its thumbnail? I assume it is the first frame of a video. If so, is there a simple way to insert a single frame at the start of a video, something like a one frame title page, so that Windows would use it as a thumbnail?
Go to Top of Page

porpoise

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  12:35:42  Show Profile  Reply
A little more info ... in my Internet research just now, I found the following two articles, which suggest that Windows Media Player and iTunes both allow an image file to be selected as a video's thumbnail by altering metadata/tags:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5981739_change-video-windows-media-player.html

http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/change-video-thumbnails-in-windows-for-a-neater-media-l-1682248787

Instead of doing this manually with one of these programs for each video file, I was hoping to do it programmatically, perhaps with ImageEn.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38510 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  16:50:19  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

I'm afraid there is no function in ImageEn to help with this.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: