ImageEn and IEvolution Support Forum
 ievision.dll
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaFu

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  05:27:02  Show Profile  Reply
When can we expect the availability of the ievision.dll?

Manfred

fab

1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  07:28:27  Show Profile  Reply
It should be ready in August or September at most.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38514 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2011 :  17:16:08  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

You can download a trial from the link at:

http://www.imageen.com/ieforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Uwe

284 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  09:10:31  Show Profile  Reply
Quote:
"Note: IEVision will require a separate license to ImageEn. Pricing has not yet been decided."

Really, guys? After all those significant price increases that have been introduced already? That's rather disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

fab

1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  12:58:52  Show Profile  Reply
>Really, guys? After all those significant price increases that have been introduced already?
>That's rather disappointing.

Sorry, I cannot understand.
ievision is a new product, a plugin for ImageEn. It is not ImageEn.

It took a year of work for the first release. Should be free?
Go to Top of Page

Uwe

284 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:05:58  Show Profile  Reply
Fabrizio, remember that you publicly made the remark that an ievision.dll will be coming very soon; indicating that it will complement the other plugins like dcrawlib.dll and imagemagick.dll? That was during the brief period when ImageEN was free.

Times have changed and ImageEN is a commercial product again, which I actually very much appreciate. I understand that you guys need to generate revenue, but since the price for the license renewal (amongst others) has risen sharply already, it's kind of hard for me to swallow that you'll now charge extra for a plugin which I see as an extension of ImageEN's functionality and which would've been free just a few months ago.

Thanks
Uwe
Go to Top of Page

fab

1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  09:24:13  Show Profile  Reply
Please accept my apologies because I was not clear. There is an important difference among ievision.dll and other free plugins:
imagemagick.dll, jbiglib.dll and dcrawlib.dll are provided "as is", without support. We haven't the potential to support free products. "dcrawlib.dll" is just an exception given its importance for many users.

The number of features that provide ievision.dll can not be maintained and supported as a free product.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

38514 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  23:08:27  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Uwe

You've raised two issues here:

1. ImageEn pricing: ImageEn's pricing was held constant for many years despite the functionality increasing significantly, so a price increase was well overdue and now brings it in line with other Delphi components suites of a similar breadth. We are not doing this to get rich, but rather to make ImageEn profitable so that it can be well supported and enhanced.

2. IEVision pricing: IEVision provides advanced but somewhat specialized functionality which won't appeal to all ImageEn users so is being treated as a separate product. Because of its niche appeal the pricing needs to be quite high to cover the signicant work that went into its development.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Uwe

284 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2011 :  16:21:51  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Fabrizio and Nigel

Sorry for the late reply; I've been quite busy recently.

Of course I am in no position to discuss ImageEN/ IEVision pricing in detail with you. I apologize if I came across differently. I'm just a little bit worried that you might price yourself out of the market by becoming unaffordable for amateur developers, and that you might also become less interesting for companies because there is no roadmap available for the product (as mentioned in another thread already). Ending up with neither a commercial component pack, nor with a freeware/ open source one would be quite frustrating.

Thanks again
Uwe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To: